Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Building Learning



The dust is beginning to settle this week as we recover from some technical difficulties with our LMS (learning management system) last week. I am starting to get back into the groove of the school year contacting and welcoming new students and grading their first assignments. This week, students are working on using proportions to create a sense of space in their drawings. Like many Art 1 classes, mine focuses on foundational skills, at least at the beginning. Later, students will learn about linear perspective, which shows them how the foreground, middle, and background connect with this mathematical concept. An important element of any lesson in my online classroom is that is builds upon student learning and provides a foundation for future learning. When the connections are there, students retain more, and I can really tell when students understand the content. For this week’s lesson, students will complete a drawing of an interior room that uses the foreground, middle, and background to create depth and space. Part of their learning takes place by reading the lesson and looking at examples, but I feel the main part of learning takes place when they are asked to demonstrate it. A student might go through the process, “Now I’ve read about it. I know what it looks like. How can I create it? How can I make it my own?” I think that last question is especially important. I encourage my students to make each assignment personal even when the content is technical. In my online classroom I assess in chunks. Each week has a small project for students to complete which helps me witness students building upon their learning as they go. Assigning one project per week keeps students continuously learning and practicing their new skills. Creating is a way of learning that encourages problem solving and I love to see what my students come up with.

5 comments:

  1. Great information! I had fun browsing your website and reading through your blog.
    liberty university online

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Hannah - what a wonderful blog! I'm a librarian in a high school in SE Pennsylvania. I've shared your blog with two of my art teachers who are working to perfect their online art classes - this is their second year as online teachers. I appreciate the way you explain your thought process, and strive to personalize the artistic experience for your students. My teachers will be able to make great use out of your blog - thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is my pleasure! Thank you for passing it along.

      Delete
  3. Hannah, you have been my saving grace! I am now an online art teacher, with 6 years of B&M under my belt. Needless to say, I am just now getting the hang of the administrative duties required of me daily... and am only now able to consider what I am teaching! The curriculum provided is not ideal for how I teach, so I have given myself the challenge of creating my own curriculum. Your blog is a great resource for me, but I think we should link up and help each other! The iNACOL wordpress looks promising, but, sadly, I haven't much time to blog these days. How do you do it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your kind words. Writing curriculum is always a challenge and takes up a good amount of time, so I commend you. I was lucky to have an established curriculum at the start that I only needed to make tweaks to so this year the curriculum writing has been very brief. I set a goal to blog once a week but I don't always get to it. I feel that it's my time to slow down and reflect on what I am doing. Feel free to contact me anytime so we can talk more (hanna79993@gmail.com).

      Delete